I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Saturday 7 December 2013

Baby: 0-3 months: The first Smilestone

Your baby will smile when (s)he is ready. Don't get upset about it, or stressed. I was so focused on wanting her to smile when daddy was around. You can't give your baby a deadline. (s)he will smile when (s)he's good and ready and there's nothing you can do about it. If (s)he smiles when Daddy is around, that's just luck. He might be upset to miss it but there are plenty of other milestones he will be there for. You also might feel like you can't leave her with anyone else in case (s)he smiles without you. You should try to get over this. Of course you'll be upset if you miss it, but it won't be the end of the world, and there'll be more to come! And if you keep delaying your date night, you will put strain on your relationship, and that will make an unhappy home environment for your little one, and (s)he might actually smile later because of it.

So how can you encourage your baby to smile? Make sure you smile a lot around her. Show her how it's done. She will pick up on it eventually. You could also gently push up the corners of her mouth with your fingertips, smiling as you do, to show her that is what (s)he's doing. You should also do things that make her happy. If (s)he has a favourite game or song, play it with her a lot. Make sure you give her a lot of attention and play. (s)he will be more likely to smile when she is calm and relaxed, or excited and playing.

But I've been told "it's wind"? Yes. Babies do give windy smiles, and they can be so beautiful and you wonder if it really is just wind. Windy smiles happen more when (s)he's asleep, so if she's awake, it could be real. I just knew in my heart that she was smiling for real. Even if it's "too early" don't listen to everyone else telling you that it's wind, listen to your mother's instinct, the voice inside. I'm sure you'll know when it's real. Have faith in yourself, you can do it.

Babies tend to smile at around 6-8 weeks. It can be before that, and it can be after. My baby smiled at 5 weeks. After the first time, of any milestone, don't expect more the same day, or the next day, it could be a couple of days before they're ready again.

No comments:

Post a Comment