I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Monday 16 December 2013

The first fall

You WILL drop your baby, or she will fall over. The first time she falls and bumps her head, it's completely heart wrenching. you feel physically sick. You don't know what to do, you want to scream. It's awful.

~*It is NOT safe to carry your baby to another room in her bouncy chair. This is how my baby first fell.*~

First things first as soon as your baby has fallen, make sure (s)he cries and breathes in to let out a massive scream. After that, take her and cuddle her, to calm her down a bit, and to calm you down. Rush straight to the hospital, in a taxi, so make sure you have the money for one hidden somewhere at all times. Do not stand around and wait for a bus, do not drive in that stressed out condition. Cuddle and jig the baby until (s)he stops crying, or at least quietens down, then call your taxi and whilst you are waiting for it, run around like a headless chicken.
Put her in her cot. Safe and secure and you need to get ready.
People will be judging you. People will be making probing questions to see if you did it on purpose. Try and replay the incident in your mind, because they will ask a lot of questions and "I don't know it happened so fast" apparently isn't acceptable.
 Make bottles up for the whole day, you will be there for hours
Bring hat, and gloves, and coat, and blankets, even if you don't normally, even if it's summer. Depending what time of day it is, you could be there past dark, and it could get really cold, even in summer.
Bring toys
Bring a book if you can. You will be there for hours, and if your baby is asleep, you will be bored
Bring your baby's red book.
Bring a pram if you can. You don't want to haul your baby all over hospital, especially if (s)he's asleep. I had a lovely taxi driver, who helped me work out how to put it down to get in his car.

Try your best not to panic, your baby will pick up on it. I got to the hospital so fast, there were no marks on her. I saw the nurse for initial assessment, and then went to the waiting room to wait for a doctor. Her bruise developed in the waiting room. I went back to the nurse and told her and she had a little look at it. Everything was fine with my baby of course, but you can never be too safe with a head injury. I think the fact that I got there so fast the bruise developed whilst I was there was heavily in my favour. They could see I got there as quickly as I possibly could.

Your baby is allowed to sleep. I don't remember why, whether it's because babies don't get concussion or because you're there with her every second, I don't know. But don't try and force your baby to stay awake. If she's relaxed enough to sleep and cuddle, then it's clearly not that painful for her, which is very very good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment