I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Sunday 17 November 2013

Pregnancy: The birth, more

Braxton Hicks: I never had these, to my knowledge, but the difference between them and real contractions is supposed to be that real contractions are more painful, and come evenly and close together, getting more frequent as time goes on. You're not supposed to call the hospital, or set off, until the contractions are four minutes apart. This can take a very long time, or not. Despite how much pain you are in. it is honestly more comfortable at home than it is at hospital. There seems to be no sense of urgency, even though it is the most urgent you'll feel in your life. It is best to try and get some sleep, as soon as you think the contractions are coming on, no matter what time of day it is. If it's "just" Braxton Hicks, they'll be gone when you wake up; if it's labour, you'll be much further along when you wake. You're probably not going to sleep now for the next 24 hours, so it's good to get some in.

Poop: If you're in labour, you may experience a desperate feeling that you need to poop. You don't. It is the contractions pushing on your bowel or rectum. I tried to go once, and I think that's fine, right at the beginning, but the more you try the more likely it will be that you poop when giving birth, and more likely to get hemorrhoids.

What if I poop when giving birth? In front of all those people? You won't care. I didn't believe that, it kept me up nights, I thought it would be the worst thing in the world. I genuinely don't know if I did or not, I don't think so. Apparently 80% of births involve a poop. They've seen it before, and apparently they're very good, the just whip it away and carry on. The pushes are like you're going for a poop, so I think it's very likely to be honest, but when you get to that stage, you just want it to be over and you don't care what people think.

Screaming: You scream as much as you damn well want. It HURTS. I screamed at home, and when I got to the hospital they told me to stop screaming, and I honestly think it was so I didn't wake up other patients at 6am, but who cares? It's ridiculous. You scream as much as you want girl.

Pain Relief: I don't understand how anyone could ever do it without. I wanted a c-section I was in so much pain. I didn't before, and I'm glad I didn't, but I just wanted them to knock me out and take my baby out of me. I fully endorse an Epidural. Gas and Air did NOTHING for me. It makes you feel woozy, and dulls the pain a little, but it made me feel like I was going to be sick, made my voice all funny.

The Epidural: Now I wasn't entirely sure what an epidural actually is until about a month before the birth. It is actually a needle in your spine, and numbs you from the waist down. You have to be very still whilst they are putting it in, because if they slip it can cause many complications, but don't worry. It is done by experienced doctors who have done this all before and they won't harm you. The first epidural was wonderful, it took away the pain but I could still feel when to push, it was wonderful, I can't imagine wanting or needing any other form of pain relief or birth. I have huge respect for anyone who can do it with less, but I didn't feel like I could, and it helped me enjoy the birthing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment