I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Monday 18 November 2013

Pregnancy: The birth: My complications

My little girl was in the wrong position, slightly rotated round. If she was in the right position, it would have been much easier and have taken less time, but after hours of pushing, the anaesthetist came back. He was very good and I felt at ease with him. I had specifically requested only females to be in the birthing room, unless there were complications, and he took me into theatre and it was mostly women, him and one other man who seemed to be some sort of lab assistant, he didn't really come anywhere near me.

The second Epidural. The second epidural was really bad. It completely numbed my whole body, I could barely move, and I had to actually ask them if I was pushing, I couldn't even feel my muscles work. I had forceps and suction cup, to turn my baby around properly. This is very common and can often make the baby have an oddly shaped head. Don't worry. It will go down within the first month. Don't be afraid to say anything you damn well like. I said, very quietly the the anaesthetist, that "I preferred the other woman [from a few minutes ago in theatre] she had smaller hands" and they swapped back simple as you like, I hadn't even realized they could hear me.

When she came, they whisked her off to another room and I had no idea what they were doing, my baby wasn't there with me. I had no idea what was going on, what they were doing, don't be scared to ask. I think they see so many babies come and go that sometimes they forget that not everyone has done this before. They'd washed her and bundled her and brought her to me; apparently they no longer do the heel prick test in hospital. I didn't know whether they had done it or not, they told me jack. They don't measure babies length any more either. You may want to bring a tape measure and do it yourself, or as soon as you get home. We had to ASK them what TIME she was born too, they didn't volunteer this important information. I think they get so bogged down by the logistics and paperwork of it all that they forget that we're people.

No comments:

Post a Comment