I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Wednesday 20 November 2013

The Birth: The hospital stay

Everyone hates hospitals, and I think everyone is desperate to get out of there, but it might be for the best to stay in a little while. They're preachy, demanding and set to their schedule not yours, but there's someone there to look after your baby whilst you're sleeping and recovering, there's help breastfeeding (more on this later) they remind you to take all your pills, you hate it at the time but I think it's easier than being at home.

Paternity leave - if you have a prem baby and have to stay in hospital a while, or complications, delay him taking his paternity leave until you're out and you need him, because although you might feel you need him emotionally in the hospital, or for someone to talk to, he can help you a lot more when you're at home and don't have the help of nurses. Paternity leave is ridiculously short anyway, and you only just start to get used to having your baby and all this help and then he shoots off again, but it's almost as if you don't really get into it until he goes back to work, when you have to shape up and cope, and do it all yourself. As a stay-at-home-mom I don't understand how any mom can cope with going back to work, and getting everything done, but I think it's all the same really, you cope. You get on with it and take one day at a time. Like with anything you won't appreciate how good it is to have him off on paternity leave until he's gone back to work.

Injections - You will begin to feel like a pin cushion. Even I, wasn't scared of needles, got scared after being stabbed every couple of hours, by nurses of varying ability. There's not really much you can do about it, just be warned.

Catheter - Undignified and humiliating. You may or may not have one, I think it's an epidural thing. It's all hidden under covers though, and your visitors can't see it. It starts to get painful surprisingly quickly, as you start trying to heal around it. Keep asking when it can be taken out. It is something that nagging will work for. As soon as you can walk, they'll let you have it out. As soon as I can WALK?? Yes. Remember I said epidural numbs your entire lower half. Yeah this means you can barely move for about five hours. Feeling comes back slowly, and it's like pins and needles, but keep wriggling your toes and trying your best to move, maybe massage your legs a little to get the blood flowing better. All this will help.

Stitches - Horrible word, and scary, but don't worry, they heal very nicely and they're the kind that just dissolve. The midwives will check how you're healing a couple of times but it's pretty quick. Take a salt bath every day to help it heal quicker.

Caffeine - I honestly have no idea, but as soon as I was able to walk I was allowed free reign of the patients kitchen, so I think caffeine is fine and doesn't seep through to milk. I had lots of coffees and no-one stopped me.

Going to the toilet - for the first time is scary. You get to see exactly how much blood there is. And it can really sting if you have stitches. They may ask you to pee in a bowl so they can test it for whatever, and that can be even harder because you're so weak. Don't worry you don't need too much for them to test what they like, and it definitely doesn't have to be all of it, and if you can't lift it, tip some away. I was carefully monitoring myself in my head every time I went to the toilet for how I was healing, and it pleasantly surprised me how quick it was. I recommend baby wipes for yourself, because you will be tender and sore, hospitals can't always be relied upon to actually have toilet paper, and it will help keep any stitches clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment