I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Tuesday 19 November 2013

Pregnancy: The Birth: Recovery

This is arguably the worst time. You're so weak and confused and tired. You don't know what to do, what is happening, or what happens next. As far as I'm concerned, the aftercare is awful. You are not supposed to have an anti-clotting injection until four hours after a c-section. A friend of mine said a nurse tried to give her one only two hours after. You should be prepared for mess ups like that, and uncaring nurses. Our little girl got hiccups, and she's so little it was terrifying. Her whole body jumping and shaking. Well we told a nurse and said, what do we do? She went to the head nurse and just went "the [surname here] baby has hiccups." "okay". No. Not okay what do we do? Might seem silly to you, seems a little silly now maybe, but we were scared. Those hiccups went through her entire body. The head nurse eventually explained it quite well. What do you do when you have hiccups? There's nothing really that you can do is there? So it's okay. But we didn't know that, and they knew she was going to be fine, but we didn't!

Bring your camera. We refuse to acknowledge it, but the first picture of our baby was taken by my mother. I was weepy and depressed and didn't want anything, so the first picture of our baby is in the arms of some nurse, some total stranger. Be the first one to take a photo, and you may feel like utter crap, but you should be holding her.It's good if Daddy's holding her, but best if you are. You don't even have to ever show the photo to anyone ever, if you think you look awful, you can just keep it for you. A private, special moment between you and your baby.

So you're tired, emotional, weak, afraid, and alone in a bustling hospital on a shared ward with lots of other new babies and nosy nurses who will wake you up every couple of hours for some injection or other until you feel like a human pin cushion. You're wrought out, but anxious about your new baby. I had an irrational fear of someone taking her. It's a hospital. It's fine. You need to sleep, and rest. Try your hardest, it's not too bad at the time. Your new baby will sleep about twenty hours a day, and you will need to restore your energy. Once you get to sleep in the first place, getting back to sleep after they keep waking you up isn't so hard. Once I switched off I think the exhaustion caught up with me.

They may bend the visiting hours rules for your partner the first night, let him stay with you later and comfort you, I definitely needed him and I don't know what I would have done without him. I think most people hate hospitals. I needed something familiar and comforting, and he certainly provided that. He told me it was okay to feel the way I was feeling, I was exhausted and everything was going to be okay. It's one thing to make excuses for yourself and say that you're okay but it's somewhat more comforting to have someone else say it to you. He was strong for me, and asked questions that I daren't, but seriously. Say what you like, ask what you like, they have had it all before and probably worse. If you're not swearing every other word, they've probably had someone come through those doors ruder than you. It doesn't make you a bad mother to ask about something you don't know. Believe me, it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment